Monday, July 23, 2007

A Big Fire In Spokane

Jake and I were running some errands tonight and we had stopped to gas up the car. Just as Jake got back in the car and was ready to leave the gas station we both heard this very loud "Pop" sound. Jake said, "What was that?" I said, "I don't know." We both looked around and did not notice anything at the station that seemed to be a problem. We then headed south to the next intersection. We were only about 1/2 a mile from our church building. We then took a right turn and headed west away from the church and on to the music store. As we turned right, Jake said, "LOOK!!!!", as we looked south out our windows about 5 blocks ahead we saw the biggest, blackest plume of smoke I had ever seen. Well, you all know that I married the guy who likes to chase any kind of siren that he hears. "Just to check it out." So I said "Lets go see what it is", thinking it was just a house fire or something of that nature. As we got closer we turned left and headed down the street where the fire was. Jake realized it before I did but the fire was not a house fire. It was a Fuel Storage Company. The popping noises we heard earlier were actually explosions. As we passed by the drive way to the company we heard even more popping. I have never heard fear in Jake's voice like I heard tonight. He said, "We have to get out out hear right now." We headed on to the music store and while we were there the fire was already on the Internet news sites and on the radio. We could not believe that we were that close. We are thankful that we were not hurt and that no one from that company was hurt either. The live coverage on the local news channels lasted for more than 2 hours. Our church building was never in danger and we are thankful for that. I am including a news link if you want to see the pictures. http://www.krem.com/ The moral of the story is that it is much better and safer to watch the new coverage at home and that maybe our danger chasing days are over. ;) Have a great day!!! By the way we had a great trip to Glacier National Park. I will say more about that in my next post. I hope to have that up soon.:)

3 comments:

The Pepin Family said...

Oh, my! You guys are crazy! Thank the Lord for protecting you...

ap

The Bryants said...

LOL! The way you described Jake chasing sirens, reminded me of our dog, Sadie, chasing the UPS truck. Hahahahahahha!! :)

Glad you are safe! Be careful!!

Alicia Reagan said...

Praise the Lord for his protection! Glad that you all are okay (and possibly cured from siren chasing!) ;)